*Excellent*, the method:

> $ cd /usr/bin
> $ wget http://people.openmoko.org/sean_mcneil/adb
> $ chmod +x adb
>
> worked, and openmoko wiki page has been updated for another newbie who may
come across.

*Next issue:*

It says on the webpage:

*adb connects to Android but you need to have made sure you have set it up
first. Make sure your FreeRunner was booted while being plugged in to a USB
port. Then following run the following commands: *

*# ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0
# adb kill-server
# ADBHOST=192.168.0.202 adb devices*

However, doing it does show a problem.  I am running an OM2008.12
(kustomized to illume) on my FreeRunner at the moment, and this is what the
Terminal shows while being plugged in with a cable to a laptop and while
running the OM2008.12

*r...@glitch-laptop:~# ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0*
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device

*r...@glitch-laptop:~# adb kill-server*
*r...@glitch-laptop:~# ADBHOST=192.168.0.202 adb devices*
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
*
r...@glitch-laptop:~#  ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0*
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device

I assume that I am supposed to have FreeRunner detected, however, it shows
no device.
How do I fix this ? Should I try it with some other distribution instead of
OM2008.12 ?