WG-chair:

I would prefer for any work in this space to happen in
followup document(s), not in BRSKI itself.

I think anything done in ANIMA should purely be describing mechanisms
to leverage unmodified existing 802.11 mechanisms and ideally we find
some existing work that also built some form of layered standards
on top of 802.11.

The issue we IMHO need to overcome is that there
are ways how this could also be done by extending 802.11 and we
need to have an argument why that may be an option but it is
nonwithstanding for us to do it NOT that way. We had for example
also a long discussion in the beginning of ANIMA why not to use EAP
in BRSKI.

Nancy mentioned other 802.11 options beside SSID, so maybe we should
gate a decision to adopt any such work to the WG having sufficient
understanding of what the existing options in 802.11 are that
we could leverage without having to extend 802.11. Maybe we could
draft Nancy or some other 802.11 expert to give a summary to the WG
(802.11u eg.).

Contributor:

An ANIMA standardized method of BRSKI via 802.11 would be great.

A single AP may already provide SSIDs under different logical
administtrative domains. For example in SP-Wifi, where the AP
is logically paid for by a subscriber and residing in the subscribers
residence but also providing a managed "community" SSID from the
SP. For example with comcast that second SSID is called "xfinity"
and if you want to have access to that SSID on any of the other
subscribers AP, you also have to permit for xfinity SSID to be
enabled on your device (if you have one).

Note: all the following is only taking my limited knowledge of 802.11
into account, aka: might change when i learn about 802.11 or other
options. But the principles expressed below should stay the same.

And of course the impliciation is that you should be able to
have multiple SSIDs for BRSKI, one for each administrative
domain, because otherwise we would have to figure out how to set
up a multi-registrar / multi-operator BRSKI proxy/registrar
infra.

Aka: I would propose that the SSID (ESSID ?) scheme is something like:

    BRSKI<char><existing-ssid>

<char> should be choosen to be least likely already used,
e.g.: "-" would be bad, but i am not sure what the most
obfuscated, 802.11 permitted char is. "%" ?

 BRSKI%xfinity
 BRSKI%tte-home-network

The selection rules for equipment would say to just try
all the BRSKI%... SSIDs. If we wanted to be fancy, we should
try to find a method to signal priority to pledges. Not sure
if there are any nicer attributed, but if not, wee could (yuck yuck)
do something like BRSKI%1%tte-homenet to indicate first
priority for that SSID.

We should also have

    BRSKI<char><char><well-known-service>

The well-known-ssid would be requiring a specification how
pledges would select those. For example we could consider
some standardized cloud-service offered by multiple SPs
for home-automation - acme-aut. Equipment from various
vendors (sensors/actors) built against that standardized
cloud service would prefer BRSKI%%acme-aut over other
SSIDs to enroll. And the service would also hopefully
define a mechanism to allow such equipment to be enrolled
into the SSID of the subscriber itself, e.g.: by also
recognizing any higher priority existing-ssid (BRSKI%1%tte-homenet).

Or use a redirect in BRSKI itself....

Ok, i hope i get highscore for overdesigning the solution (kidding).

Aka: selecting the best SSID in face of competing offers
multiple or single AP is the type of work i think we should
give some tthought to. Ideally something extensible
where we can in the first spec get away with a most simple
start but will have forward compatibility with later
updates/extensions.

Cheers
    Toerless

---