Daniel, we are not exactly writing a compiler in Pascal or C here, are we?
All we do is do a couple of database queries and format some text. In my
Java work I do a bit more, like propriatary protocols on TCP/IP, bit more
working with files, some threads and that sort of stuff. But all in the
comfortable world of a garbage collector and as long as you don't do
galacticaly stupid things, like not closing a JDBC statement or sticking
objects in a HashMap and don't take them out when you don't need them
anymore, you'll be fine.

Unless you are using low level languages where you have to do your own
memory management, as you described, I don't see a use for it.

Trust me, if I were doing what you are working on, a debugger would be my
best friends as well. But not using Tcl because there is no good debugger
is such a dumb statement it makes me wonder if the person in question is
actualy smart enough to write good code in the first place.

Cheers,
Bas.