Dossy Shiobara said:
> Oh man, who is feeding you this pack of lies?  I mean, MySQL has been
> able to do hot online backups since May 2002!  Well, you've been able to
How? All I can find is this "mysqldump" and "mysqlhotcopy", which lock
tables while they are being dumped. Hardly "online backup" if you ask me.

> do them for MyISAM table types much earlier than that, but the InnoDB
> Hot Backup product reached version 1.00 in May 2002.
That is true, in fact I knew about it. Usualy when the pgsql/mysql debate
comes up I use this to point out another reason why MySQL is "free" in
beer nor speech. But compared to Sybase of course this argument is lost.
(unless you run a small(ish) database on (free, as in beer) Sybase
Express, of course!)

> There's a very good reason for this, AND if you find it objectionable,
> you can even turn it off:
I found the page it is documented on, but I don't find "This is in some
cases is more convenient (and uses less space in data and index) than
using NULL values." good enough reason. Besides, if you turn it off many
3rd party apps will fail as they rely on the functionality being there.

> My understanding is that the data type determines the number of
> bits/bytes used at the storage layer, but all mathematics and aggregate
> functions should operate at the highest precision and largest word size.
That doesn't fly when you expect a .NET or JDBC .getInt() to do just that.
So unless you specifically ask for it to be casted up, I believe the
database should throw the error, not your client program. Just because it
is documented, doesn't make it right!

> The row where you got one space back: I'd like to see how you inserted
> the data.  In general, this isn't weird at all, because ...
insert into test4 values (null), (''), ('a '), (' ');

Actually, I stand corrected on that one, Sybase is a messed up in this
case as MySQL. Postgres gets it right, though.

> Absolutely.  MySQL trims trailing whitespace on CHAR values:
Doesn't that go against standards? Then what is the point of having "char"
fields to begin with?

> The difference?  If I *had* to, I could extend MySQL to do exactly what
> I need.  (Beware: Tcl as a supported UDF language for MySQL stored
> procs!  Muwahaha.)
Why waste your time, Postgres already has that! :) (and loads of other
features MySQL doesn't have, plus it is truly Free and as ANSI compliant
as they get)

Cheers,
Bas.