Dossy Shiobara said:
> You're right; MySQL is orders of magnitude better than Sybase.  I'm dead
Yeah, when it doesn't blow up in weird and wonderul ways... And you don't
mind not being able to do online backups.... And if you think '0000-00-00'
or '2006-02-30' is a date... (oh no, just tested mysql 5 silently turns
the latter into '0000-00-00'!) And expect 2 ints added together to form a
value more than 32 bits to be silently cast to a long... The list goes on
and on.

> T-SQL is so damn awful, it would probably be better off without any
> stored procedure capability than to have it.)
Some people feel the same about PL/SQL... Or that basterdazation of PL/SQL
used in Postgres. T-SQL isn't perfect, but it has always gotten the job
done for me quite easily and efficiently. Different strokes for differen
folks.

> Did you know that Sybase silently promotes an empty string to a string
> of 1 character?
Most database can't, they just silently make it NULL. Not sure which is
worse... In fact, MySQL does *very* weird things with empty and semi-empty
strings:

mysql> select concat('"',foo,'"') from test2 where foo = '  ';
+---------------------+
| concat('"',foo,'"') |
+---------------------+
| ""                  |
| " "                 |
+---------------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Yes, those are 3 spaces in the where clause and MySQL returns rows with
both empty strings and one space!

Oh, and did you notice how it trims the values of char() columns?

mysql> create table test3 (foo char(10));
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)

mysql> insert into test3 values ('a       ');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select concat('"',foo,'"') from test3;
+---------------------+
| concat('"',foo,'"') |
+---------------------+
| "a"                 |
+---------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Just to make sure I have a recent version:

mysql> \s
--------------
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.18, for redhat-linux-gnu (i386)

> Sybase's TEXT/IMAGE support is ridiculous.  You can't create stored
> procedures which take parameters that are typed TEXT or IMAGE?  You have
That is silly, yes. But like you say, it's not better in any of the other
commercial databases.

> to jump through ridculous hoops with VARBINARY pointers and
> READTEXT/WRITETEXT?  I suppose Oracle's not much better in this regard,
A tiny hoop, really. Plus it seems to be a problem with the C driver more
than anything else. In JDBC, you can send as much data as you like for an
insert or update of a TEXT/IMAGE column.

> can be used as a stored procedure parameter -- I'll have to test to see
> how it handles BLOB and CLOB types.
Does MySQL still use/support actual LOBs? (as in data stored elsewhere
from the row) I thought everything was stored in-line and clob/blob was
just a synonym for varchar(2B), just like in Postgres?

I don't mind anyone who prefers Oracle over Sybase. But to say MySQL is
much better and more standards compliant just because you don't like a few
things in Sybase (which, as it turns out MySQL isn't very good at either)
is, well, a little strange.

Just my $0.02...

Bas.