On 2006.04.06, Bas Scheffers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The difference?  If I *had* to, I could extend MySQL to do exactly what
> > I need.  (Beware: Tcl as a supported UDF language for MySQL stored
> > procs!  Muwahaha.)
>
> Why waste your time, Postgres already has that! :) (and loads of other
> features MySQL doesn't have, plus it is truly Free and as ANSI compliant
> as they get)

Can you embed Postgres?  Before I got turned on to SQLite, MySQL served
as a great embedded database inside the real applications.  Can Postgres
do the same?  (Moot point, really, since I now just use SQLite for
this, but it's good trivia to know, anyway.)

PostgreSQL 8.0's support of Win32 will help things, too.

As much as people criticize MySQL's replication and clustering, where's
Postgres's?  I don't see any mention of it in Postgres 8.1 docs:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/index.html

The docs also don't mention any GIS support.

I agree, Postgres is a fine database.  I would be happy using it if I
were working in an environment that already had it deployed.  But, I
don't see a compelling reason to try and convert a shop over to
Postgres.  Just the same, I don't feel a big need to migrate folks onto
MySQL, either.

... except, if they're using Sybase.  Then, I'd advocate migrating onto
any other RDBMS, just because having to work in Sybase would be more
effort.  Seriously.  16K max page size?  Not being able to create stored
procedures with TEXT or IMAGE parameters?  How do you build a content
management system on top of Sybase?  A whole lot of dynamic SQL in the
application?  I guess ... in which case, if you're not leveraging stored
procedures, why not just use MySQL or Postgres?  Sigh.

I'm glad you like Sybase.  Someone has to; better you than me, for sure.
:-)

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara              | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://dossy.org/