I’m a recent (3 months) user of Gitlab (we switched from Redmine + subversion)
and I must say that we are quite happy. I like it even more than Github.

But to vote in favour of either option I would like to read about how to move
all the existing user base with minimal impact (how to announce, how to contact
users, how to switch off the old repos, etc.)