Rob Weir wrote:
I also like the idea of marking a function as deprecated, maybe even
supporting the new and old together for a release, to give time for
transition.

If at all feasible, I would be for this. Ideally, we should be able to install a legacy extension by: recognizing it's using legacy APIs or conventions; displaying a warning; running it anyway, trying to be as compatible as possible.

Then of course I don't know how much of this is realistically feasible... but Hans is right, the ecosystem is extremely important and even unsupported extensions can have a high value for end users (while from a technical point of view it's hard to disagree with Juergen and Ariel).

Regards,
  Andrea.