David, we use duckbills or manta rays exclusively here in the sandy loam soils
of Leelanau County because of high failure rate
With helicals in sand. I like the ductile 11" manta ray for apples and the 6"
inch aluminum or ductile for rocky soil in grapes. Whenever we have a helical
fail in an old vineyard a duckbill is used to replace it. Hope this helps.

Kevin J. VerSnyder
VerSnyder Orchards
Lake Leelanau, MI 49653