Hi, Con --
Thanks for the summary of risks associated with GMO crops. After DDT was introduced, it took nearly 30 years before society recognized and reacted to the negative side-effects associated with this miracle pesticide. I've always suspected that GMO's will eventually end up with their own "DDT-like" ecological disaster because we as humans are just not smart enough to predict all outcomes when we manipulate ecosystems. For me, the scary part is that, although we could address DDT issues by stopping production and use of the compound, it will be very difficult to recapture and eliminate genetically-altered organisms once they are released. As a scientist committed evaluation of ever-safer and more selective pesticides, I have endured many years of being considered a second-class citizen among academic colleagues and research funding agencies who believe that biocontrols and genetic engineering will provide clean green alternatives to pesticides. I hope that I am wrong, but I really suspect that we will eventually encounter a biocontrol or GMO disaster that will make society long for the "good old days" when agricultural pests were managed with relatively benign chemical pesticides!

Hello again,
I also wanted to comment as follows on Steve's observations.
I am not an organic grower, and do not agree with their perspective on everything. However, I do feel that the early adopters of organic are very good people, who did the rest of us a service, by being critical of the general consensus of the greatness of all agricultural advancements, some of which, though we did not know it at the time, had serious downsides as well. It is important to look critically and objectively at every new development, to assess whether it really can deliver what it proposes, and whether there are any potential downsides that have not yet become obvious. It is also important for organic producers to think critically of their own stance, and find if they can also do things differently. And science is a great vehicle to use in this observation.
From my perspective, I do have some problems with the adaptation of genetically modified plants, and I think the organic groups are right to be wary.
Apart from the nasty behaviour of corporations against farmers regarding violations of their patent rights (I have a problem with the practice of allowing genes to be patented), there are some unresolved questions (as well as some which have probably have not even been thought of yet).
Human health:
Antibiotic resistant marker (ARM) genes were often added to the genetic cassette (the gene segment being added to the plant to be transformed.
After insertion of the new genes, antibiotics are applied to the cells.
These kill un-transformed cells, leaving the few transformed ones.
Critics said that it was a bad idea to allow these transformed plants having genes that are coding for resistance to antibiotics into the environment, but the GM proponents said it was not a worry, because it could not happen. Now, quite a few years later, it is now considered bad practice to leave ARM genes in transformed plants, because of the small but real risk of incorporation of this DNA into the gut bacteria of plants or animals than eat modified plants. This is because of a trial (the only one ever conducted to see if this could happen). Volunteers were fed a single meal of a burger and a milk shake containing GM Soya. (Study conducted in 2002 by UK Food Standards Agency). There were 12 healthy volunteers and 7 volunteers who had previously had their colons surgically removed. In healthy volunteers there was no evidence that gut bacteria had taken up the DNA. In three of the seven people without a complete digestive tract, it was found that bacteria had taken up modified DNA from the Soya. Implies that gut bacteria could take advantageous genes from GM food, to enhance their own characteristics, and the end point of such a transformation is completely unpredictable.
There is also the issue of allergens to human health:
The genes that are transferred from the donor organism are not necessarily selected individually.
As a consequence, unintentional transfers can take place.
In 1993, a company developed a modified soybean (producing extra methionine; a desirable trait) using donor DNA from the Brazil nut. The modified soybean produced immunological reactions in people usually allergic to Brazil nut.
Development was discontinued, and the modified soybeans destroyed.
The difficulty this example highlights is that until individual genes coding for desirable traits can be selectively transferred, without risk of also transferring undesirable genes, or the mutations inevitably associated with the transfer process as currently undertaken can be eliminated, plants posing a risk to human or animal health could be accidentally put on sale. This is because of the regulatory concept of "substantial equivalence" - Basically, genetically modified plants do not need to be tested for safety before being released, as they are considered substantially equivalent to plants produced in conventional breeding. Another allergy issue was highlighted in a paper published in November 2005, when a pest resistant field pea developed in Australia for use as a pasture crop was shown to cause an allergic reaction in mice. The gene in question, which inhibits amylase (a dietary starch digestion enzyme), was transferred from beans to peas. What the results showed is that the protein, when synthesized in pea leaves had a different immunogenicity than when it was isolated from bean leaves (the native form). This was considered surprising to the researchers (though not to sceptics) but was thought to be related to the presence of slightly different carbohydrate chains in each plant.
Environmental effects:
Whatever about the possible health effects of consuming GM foods, at least consumer have choice in this regard. Once a GM crop is released to the environment, it is impossible to recall it, and environmental considerations should be treated with importance. The effect on non-target organisms, in for example, consuming Bt crops is self-evident. They are also killed, with the adverse effects on biodiversity. However, the effects of gene drift to wild relatives, and the knock-on to non-target organisms has not yet been defined. The issue of super-weeds is also a realistic worry. It is entirely possible that a crop species could become a difficult-to-control weed species, or by gene drift, that an existing weeds species would become more difficult to control. There is also the real risk of genetically modified toxin-producing plants grown for fuel or fibre accidentally transferring genes to food species. You then have a toxic crop plant. Not to mention liability for contamination of crops grown by farmers who wish to produce GM-free ingredients. Who will pay to put things right if there is damage to the environment as a result of using genetically modified crops? Should the companies producing GMOs and making profits from them be responsible? Or should the state pay because it has approved the use of a GMO and society has had the "benefit" of using them? Companies and governments often argue that GM crops and foods are thoroughly assessed for safety so adverse effects should, in theory, be unlikely. Despite this they are often reluctant to see strict liability rules introduced. The polluter pays principal would dictate that companies producing GMOs should take responsibility for their products, including any adverse effects on the environment. Critics say that to have confidence that the whole process of GM risk assessment is being undertaken rigorously, that environmental liability is an important safeguard. Here in Europe The Environmental Liability Directive (ELD - 2004/35) provides the liability regime for environmental harm arising from the use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs). This is the regime that was promised during the negotiation of the Deliberate Release Directive (2001/18 - Recital 16). The Directive provides for very basic environmental liability protection. At the moment it is highly unlikely that a biotechnology company or person using GMOs would be required to pay for remediation of any environmental damage that may arise unless they were proven to be negligent. As a result, either damage will not be repaired or the state will have to pay.
To conclude:
The arguments and list of topics that warrant argument will go on. But GM crops advocates are not the only ones who have science on their side. They have the science of knowing how to make these transgenic plants, but not the environmental or medical science to give solid assurances as to their safety. At the moment GM companies in the US are being sued by farmers and food producers who have had their livelihoods damaged by contamination. Here in Europe the GM companies are threatening to sue governments who set tight guidelines about requirements for production (such as not having conventional crops that may be contaminated nearby), because they are losing time in getting patent income. At least the lawyers are doing well out of GM.
Con Traas