My first experiment with apple trees was the spring of 2012. I planted 500
trees, mostly on bud 9.  I didn't do a soil test before planting as the
USDA rates the soil here as being "prime farm land" with a Ph of 7. I
planted and used a NPK slow release (Osmocote).  The next year, before my
next planting of 1100 trees (mostly bud 9) I did a soil test and found I
was low on Boron,copper, Zinc and sulfates.  I have since paid very close
attention to the nutrient levels (tissue testing)  and keep the levels way
up. What I have found is that the new planting is nearly as big as the
first planting, and it looks like some of the Bud 9 trees from the first
year may runt out. My take away from this is that Bud 9 trees need high
levels of nutrients to push them along in the early years, and may never
recover if they lack plenty of food. I plant 3x12 and see no problem at all
with filling the space.  Fingers are crossed.