I was being a bit flippant (as usual). But, I do have personal experience
with two Honeycrisp/Bud9 plantings. The one you refer to, planted in 2006,
yes, the Honeycrisp/Bud9 are not where they should be in terms of size and
bushels/acre although I stopped collecting data some years ago. I am sure I
over-cropped them in years 2-3. Let's say these trees were from Nursery A
(see below), and initially they were some of the most beautiful red
coloring Honeycrisp I have seen. More recently, the color seems to have
diminished, even though the trees are certainly not over-fertilized or
vigorous. They have also become rather biennial, probably a result of
inconsistent crop load management on my part. (Crop load and apple scab
management seem to be the two biggest apple production problems we face
year-in/year-out in the East.) I should also mention McIntosh/Bud9 were
also planted to compare to Honeycrisp; these have had no problem filling
their space and out-yield Honeycrisp because of the larger canopy volume.
(Bud 9 is a great rootstock for McIntosh!) Results of this mini-apple
orchard systems trial were published in Fruit Notes:
http://umassfruitnotes.com/v76n1/a4.pdf

Another Honeycrisp/Bud9 planting was in 2002, planted to super-spindle,
trees 2 ft. apart, Nursery B. These grew very well, no problem getting them
up to 10 ft., good consistent cropping (probably more carefully
hand-thinned), but, the fruit was consistently very green. It was hard to
get good red color on it even when the trees were young. Unfortunately I
lost this planting to the freak October 2011 snowstorm. I guess my point is
I think there is a lot of difference in Honeycrisp budwood, both in terms
of fruit color and tree vigor. And 2 ft. is a good spacing for
Honeycrisp/Bud9 because it forces you to grow a leader and not branches.

Keys to success with Honeycrisp/Bud9? Plant larger trees from the start
from a good nursery; plant 2-3 feet apart, 10-12 feet between rows; plant
on a better site; plant with the graft union closer to the ground (2-3
inches) than what you might do with EMLA9; install trickle irrigation and
fertilize adequately in 1st and 2d leaf; don't crop in 1st and 2nd leaf;
focus on growing the leader up ASAP (no big side branches); use Bud9 where
winter hardiness and fireblight resistance are a concern, otherwise,
consider using EMLA 9.

I don't think Bud9 suckers as bad as some EMLA9 clones, and like Tim says,
the leaves are pretty...

:-)

Jon Clements
aka 'Mr Honeycrisp'