Dear all,

Apologies for the long delay.

I have review the latest version of the draft. In my opinion the document still needs a detailed review about the representation (the text): the structure of the document would make more sense if the information in section 2, 3, and 4 would appear in different order, the document still could use a more consistent terminology, and the structure of section 5-12 could be more consistent. I am happy to provide the detailed review, but since it is a lot of work, I have several concerns about the content of the document, which I would prefer to clear first.

The document proposes the evaluation methodology for AQMs which consists of the following topology and scenarios:

   0. the experiments should be performed on the topology, described in
   Figure 1 in Section 3, where the bottleneck between routers L and R
   is of *unspecified* capacity, which SHOULD include*both symmetric
   and asymmetric*, and the buffer MAY be set to a BDP. If I understand
   correctly, it is further RECOMMENDED to use a range of input
   parameters for the evaluated AQM (this may only be required if
   several AQMs are being compared)

   1. (section 5) several experiments with different TCP congestion
   control schemes (+UDP) which should be performed on *unspecified*
   bottleneck capacity and *unspecified* RTT, which should or should
   not be the same as the one with which the AQM is configured.

   2. (section 6) RTT fairness, where two groups of *unspecified*
   number of flows share a bottleneck of *unspecified* capacity, where
   the first group sees RTT of 100ms and the second is in range [5ms;560ms]

   3. (section 7) burst absorption, is a group of four scenarios, which
   include web-traffic, bursty video frames, which should be generated
   in an unspecified manner (*left to the tester to decide*), CBR
   traffic of *unspecified* rate, and TCP flow, all of which is
   evaluated using a set of metrics that MAY be generated. I might be
   missing something, but I don't understand how any of these metrics
   can be used to  characterize burst absorption.

   4. (section 8) stability, including (a) varying the number of flows
   on a bottleneck of *unspecified* capacity with *unspecified* RTT,
   according to the provided formulas, (b) varying network capacity
   between 10Mbps an 100Mbps for one TCP flow (if I understand it
   correctly)

   5. (section 9) which includes (a) traffic mix of a combination
   applications, including TCP, web-traffic, bi-direction VoIP using
   *unspecified congestion* control (I am not sure, but I think there
   are options), CBR of *unspecified* rate, and adaptive video
   streaming also with *unspecified* congestion control, with one
   combination required and other left to the tester to decide; and (b)
   bi-directional traffic, which should evaluate the effect on dropping
   DNS/TCP Syn packets* using a specified number of bulk TCP flows
   using the the throughput-delay tradeoff graph; (in both scenarios
   capacities and RTT are *unspecified* as well)

* I assume that DNS/SYN packets are mentioned in this section by mistake

Do you think that a person without a substantial background knowledge on the evaluation of AQM schemes can perform this evaluation (resolve all unspecified conditions) in a reasonable amount of time?

In the abstract, the document says that it describes characterization guidelines for an AQM proposal, to decide whether it should be adopted by the AQM WG. The WG currently has two AQMs (dropping/marking policy) in last call. Did someone evaluate these AQMs according to the specified guidelines?

Moreover, it seems to me that the WG is about to conclude. What exactly is the purpose of standardizing this document then ?

Regards,
Polina