From: aqm [mailto:aqm-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Wesley Eddy
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2016 9:51 AM
To: aqm@ietf.org; Polina Goltsman
Subject: Re: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines-09.txt

On 12/7/2015 7:32 AM, Polina Goltsman wrote:

In the abstract, the document says that it describes characterization
guidelines for an AQM proposal, to decide whether it should be adopted by the
AQM WG. The WG currently has two AQMs (dropping/marking policy) in last call.
Did someone evaluate these AQMs according to the specified guidelines?

In my opinion, for "standardization" it would be good to have crisp guidelines.
 For simply publishing RFCs that are experimental (not standardized), it is
much less important.

Moreover, it seems to me that the WG is about to conclude. What exactly is the
purpose of standardizing this document then ?

It's definitely true that the activity level has been low, and so we're trying
to wrap up the outstanding work items before it flattens completely.  This
document is not proposed for standards track, only "Informational".  The
current goal as I see it (with co-chair hat on) is to see if we have rough
consensus that this is a useful contribution to the community going forward,
and that any small issues can be addressed.

As I understood your review (please correct if I'm wrong), a main issue you see
is that there isn't specific guidance about numeric values or ranges to use in
evaluations?  Nicolas explained why this might be a bit difficult to do in
general (and specific values published in 2016 may be moot by 2018), so as I
understand, one of the limitations of this document is that it is only going to
be able to provide general descriptive guidance in terms of what kinds of tests
to run, and what types of things to look for, but not prescriptive values and
conditions to be met.  Do you think that's okay, even though it's probably less
directly useful than if there were specific values?