On 5/2/19 9:06 pm, Bruno Pagani wrote:
> Le 22/01/2019 à 00:59, Allan McRae a écrit :

>>> In the proposal, base would really just be a convenient helper for e.g.
>>> beginners installing their system, so they could get all tools that are
>>> often used during install (e.g. cryptsetup, lvm2, various FS/network
>>> tools, etc.) or (POSIX) tools people coming from other distros would
>>> expect to be here by default (man pages, nano/vi…) but that are
>>> interactive ones and thus not really required for operating.
>>>
>>> Anyone knowing their stuff could just install base-system + what they
>>> actually need (e.g., I would install cryptsetup and vim, and not care
>>> about netctl, xfsprogs or lvm2).
>> "Anyone knowing their stuff" is the essentially the stated Arch target
>> audience.
>
> So apparently we did not answer all concerns here. I don’t expect Arch
> users to know thing so well that they know exactly what tools are in
> which packages when they install Arch for the first time. I think we
> should not mistake Arch Power Users, people that have a level of
> knowledge above Arch Users, that are just generic Linux Power Users.
>
>> So, the definitions of the sets of packages are:
>>
>> base-system - essential packages we assume everyone has installed
>> (previous definition of base...)
>
> To be clearer, the new proposition would be to call this arch-system to
> avoid confusion with base. However, note that this “previous definition
> of base” is definitively not that clear: when I installed Arch, I read
> things as “base is a convenient helper to get almost every standard
> tools you could need to do your install”.
>
>> base group - base-system plus other packages some people probably
>> want/expect and support packages for filesystem types most people don't
>> actually need.
> For me, base will be what it has ever been: a fast way to get started as
> an Arch beginner.
>> Maybe slightly facetious on that last one, but I don't see a clear need
>> for the base group once base-system exists.
>
> Because, as an Arch dev, you definitively qualify as an Arch Power
> Users. I wouldn’t use base either for myself, but I firmly believe most
> Arch beginners would.
>
> Does that make sense to you, or do you still think every new Arch User
> should already know exactly what is required to get started?

If someone knows they want to set up logical volumes and drive
encryption, then they know enough to install lvm and cryptsetup.  Same
with jfsutils, xfsutils.   So I don't think they should be in the base
group (e.g. I would not call jfsutils a standard tool).

If we remove the excess from base, then we are down to a very small
difference between that and archlinux-system.  Only e2fsprogs, man, and
an editor different?

So I see the proposed archlinux-system group being essentially what base
should be.