Hi Vencislav, thanks for pointing out these difficulties. I think the most
succinct way to say it would be:

The apache user (www-data on ubuntu) should have write access to arches.log,
and write access to the arches directory, the one that contains settings.py.

I think the most reliable way to do that is, similar to what you have
outlined,

1. modify the permissions to 664 on arches.log
    sudo chmod 664 arches/arches.log
2. set www-data as group for that file
    sudo chgrp www-data arches/arches.log
3. modify the permissions to 775 on arches
    sudo chmod 775 arches
4. set www-data as group for that directory
   sudo chgrp www-data arches

Following these steps should take care of at least two other things 1) the
arches/tileserver directory can now be automatically created the first time
it is needed (this only happens when tilestache makes the first tile
renderings, so when you load the hillshade that comes with the demo, for
example) and 2) the arches/uploadedfiles  can be created and accessed by
apache when you upload the first file to your database.

This is all tricky because I have not done extensive testing to find out
the bare minimum of what is required (for example, would sudo chmod 765 arches
be enough?).

I'll update the documentation, but please let me know how things go so we
can continue to improve it.

Adam

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 1:30 AM, Vencislav Pirinski <vpirin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> sudo chmod -R 775 tileserver
> to get this result:
>

> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fXT9-Vey7lE/WUoNfSEf9sI/AAAAAAAAJGM/74k41g-pRnM1gEVXUOWgEhLKdDYOsZWqgCLcBGAs/s1600/Capture.PNG>
>

> Looking back to my previous installation i made this changes
> sudo chown www-data -R tileserver
> sudo chgrp users -R tileserver
> To get this result:
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ITdOxk14_QE/WUoQ1Z_e2BI/AAAAAAAAJGc/SkMf2x5cOkcFa2JyV0FZAo5PnJsNsN4WwCLcBGAs/s1600/3.PNG>
>

> I did this to make it exactly as my previous installation and to know that
> the cache folder can be created, unfortunately no cache folder is present.
>
> Can you describe what the permissions and groups must be?
>
> Best regards
>

> On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 7:56:49 PM UTC+3, Adam Cox wrote:
>>
>> Hi Vencislav, I'm glad you were able to figure out the paths. I have
>> updated the wiki documentation on this topic, and I think it's all set now.
>> In the case of the tileserver/cache directory, it turns out that directory
>> isn't created until the first time that the tileserver is used, so changing
>> that command to reference the top tileserver directory itself will work
>> best. Also, you'll need to give apache permission to alter the arches.log
>> file, so I added the command for that as well.
>>
>> Hope it that helps,
>> Adam
>>
>> On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 9:35:31 AM UTC-5, Vencislav Pirinski wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have installed arches v4 on Ubuntu 16.04, without error.
>>>
>>> I am continuing the installation with setting up apache, but again
>>> errors arise.
>>>
>>> I follow the guide from Github, Making Arches production ready.
>>>
>>> I install apache and wsgi:
>>> sudo apt-get install apache2
>>> sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-wsgi
>>>
>>> No errors while installing.
>>>
>>> Next i edit the file "/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf" and
>>> add this:
>>>
>>> WSGIDaemonProcess arches python-path=/home/kepler/Projects/arches/arches
>>> :/home/kepler/Projects/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>>> WSGIScriptAlias / /home/kepler/Projects/arches/arches/wsgi.py process-
>>> group=arches
>>> <Directory /home/kepler/Projects/arches/arches>
>>> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>>> AllowOverride None
>>> Require all granted
>>> </Directory>
>>>

>>> I found that in the guide the file
>>> "/home/ubuntu/Projects/my_hip_app/wsgi.py"
>>> is actually not there, the correct place must be
>>> "/home/ubuntu/Projects/my_hip_app/my_hip_app/wsgi.py".
>>> That is why I added "~Projects/arches/arches", not just
>>> "~/Projects/arches". Is this correct for every path from above?
>>>
>>> Next i run:
>>>
>>> sudo chown www-data /home/kepler/Projects/arches/arches/tileserver/cache
>>> -R
>>>
>>> But there is not such file there. Folder "tileserver" contains these

>>> AAAAAAAIog/4hC0vay_H3sp_fHhP20jajiT_1kRxS58wCLcB/s1600/