William Sjostrom wrote:

> > > Does it change the way the world behaves?
> >
> > A totally different question.  Even if you are the pinnacle of moral
> > knowledge, the world could ignore you.  It hardly shows you're wrong.
>
> Suppose, according to some moral code, you are right, but no one pays you
> any attention.  My point is, first, if no one pays you attention, it does
> not matter whether you are right,

This just begs the question.  It assumes that the only way something can
"matter" is by affecting behavior.  It matters to me and many other
people even if it doesn't affect anyone's behavior.

> and second, you cannot in any event
> empirically verify that your moral code is in fact the correct one.

This is getting too philosophical for the list.  There are plenty of
other places to debate moral realism. :-)

--
                        Prof. Bryan Caplan
       Department of Economics      George Mason University

     Mr. Banks: Will you be good enough to explain all this?!

     Mary Poppins: First of all I would like to make one thing
                   perfectly clear.

     Banks: Yes?

     Poppins: I never explain *anything*.

                            *Mary Poppins*