Wei Dai wrote:

> People don't mind competition if it's voluntary, but you can't opt out of
> economic competition. I think it's a necessary evil, not something to be
> desired for its own sake. Clearly some people do enjoy competition, and
> they should certainly be able to participate, but what's the point of
> forcing competition on people who hate it, besides efficiency?

Sure you can "opt out."  Reduce your expectations.  Settle for less.

The same, of course, is true of e.g. athletic competition.  If you
aren't good enough to compete, you "opt out."
--
                        Prof. Bryan Caplan
       Department of Economics      George Mason University

     Mr. Banks: Will you be good enough to explain all this?!

     Mary Poppins: First of all I would like to make one thing
                   perfectly clear.

     Banks: Yes?

     Poppins: I never explain *anything*.

                            *Mary Poppins*