--- Jacob W Braestrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Would we ever say: "Uhhh, this guy is ugly and no
good, bad mannered and ill tempered - but, it's no
fault of his own, and he REALLY doesn't enjoy the
competition for sexual partner forced upon him by
society, so why don't we just force this beautiful
girl to have sex with him""

Um, no.  Force would be bad.  You could sweeten the
deal for her, however, using perhaps pecuinary
benefits to level the field.  That's one possibility.
Whichever you choose, hurry up!  I need the help.

-jsh

> Wei Dai wrote:
>
> > People don't mind competition if it's voluntary,
> but you can't opt
> out of
> > economic competition. I think it's a necessary
> evil, not something to
> be
> > desired for its own sake. Clearly some people do
> enjoy competition,
> and
> > they should certainly be able to participate, but
> what's the point of
> > forcing competition on people who hate it, besides
> efficiency?
>
> While it is may be true that many people do not
> "enjoy" the economic
> competition "forced" upon them by "society" (but
> they surely benefit
> from the positive externalities of this
> competition), is this any
> ground for political action??
>
> There are many other "forced" kind of competition,
> that we (thankfully)
> do not consider grounds for redistribution - like
> the competition for
> mates. (I think I have stolen this point blatantly
> from Nozik, sorry).
>
> Would we ever say: "Uhhh, this guy is ugly and no
> good, bad mannered
> and ill tempered - but, it's no fault of his own,
> and he REALLY doesn't
> enjoy the competition for sexual partner forced upon
> him by society, so
> why don't we just force this beautiful girl to have
> sex with him"
>
> I DON'T THINK SO! And if you look at it, the case
> for "redistribution"
> is in fact stronger in the case of sexual partners
> than in the case of
> economic competition, since the loosers in the
> latter game, will at
> least benefit from the positive externalities of
> economic competition,
> while the loosers of the sex-game will get NOTHING!
>
> - jacob braestrup

=====
"...for no one admits that he incurs an obligation to another merely because that
other has done him no wrong."
-Machiavelli, Discourses on Livy, Discourse 16.