How would one estimate the accuracy of self-reports of self-defense? I
know in medical research you can assess the validity of self-reported
health by doing follow up medical exams or seeing if the respondent dies
or becomes seriously ill shortly after the survey.

Is self-defense just one of those issues where we'll never have decent
data? Fabio