>While she was Attorney General, Janet Reno commissioned a study to try to
>prove that private firearms ownership does not deter crime.  The commission
>concluded nonetheless that Americans use firearms .5 to 1.5 million times a
>year to deter crimes.  Given the obvious bias of the study, this conclusion
>makes the Lott/Kleck numbers quite credible.

Can you provide a citation to this study and its methodology? I've never heard of it.
If it used survey methods it could have naively produced the same results no matter
what the intent of the author. - - Bill Dickens

William T. Dickens
The Brookings Institution
1775 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036