Hi Steven.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Steven Bosinger
<steven.bosin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to aroma and bioC in general, so these are probably a very
> straightforward questions:
>
> I am using aroma to get QC on some Human Affymetrix Gene arrays.
>
> 1. To keep it consistent with previous analyses using RMA pre-
> processing (BKG subtraction, quantile normalization and median polish
> summarization), can I use the medpolish function instead of RmaPlm?

Not sure what implementation you used before, but the RMA
summarization step in the oligo package uses median polish.  RmaPlm
does not do the low-level calculation itself, by rely on existing
code/package for this.   By default it is using
affyPLM/preprocessCore.  You can tell RmaPlm to use that of oligo as:

plm <- RmaPlm(..., flavor="oligo");

There are some more comments in help(RmaPlm).

Note that even if two different implementations/software say they are
using median polish, they may not be numerically reproducible.  How
median polish is started, how many iteration it runs etc may give you
different results.  If I remember correctly, it is also known for not
always converging, i.e. it can oscillate between two results.

Note that median polish and rlm (robust linear modelling) are both
estimator for the same log-additive probe-level model, i.e. they try
to estimate the same parameters but in different ways.  Some
people/software documentations are sloppy and say they use median
polish, but in reality they might actually have used rlm.

I would recommend to use rlm, if possible.  You can always run both
variants and see how much the results differ.

> 2. I read in the forum that NUSE plots aren't available when you
> summarize using medpolish, is this the case?

Good catch.  Could you provide a link where you found that?

In order to calculate NUSE (Normalized Unscaled Standard Errors), you
need standard deviations of the parameter estimates.  The median
polish estimator [see help(oligo::basicRMA)] does *not* give/return
standard deviation/errors of the parameter estimates.  Internally, we
fix the stddev to 1 (one), so if you try to calculate NUSE, you'll get
nothing useful or even an error.

> 3. Is there a vignette/pdf file similar to BioC that lists all the
> available functions for aroma?

The website is the main source of documentation.

> 4. How can I export the RMA pre-processed data matrix to another 3rd
> party software?

A good start is probably to use extractDataFrame() and write its
content in a format you like.  See the how-to page 'Extract probeset
summaries (chip effects) as a data frame':

  http://aroma-project.org/howtos/extractDataFrame

> 5. Is there a function for MvA plots?

It's not clear to me *what* you want to plot, but basically:

plotMvsA(cf, reference=cfR);

where 'cf' and 'cfR' are two AffymetrixCelFile:s, e.g.

cf <- getFile(cs, 1);
cfR <- getAverageFile(cs);

You can do the same by replacing the AffymetrixCelSet 'cs' with an
ChipEffectSet 'ces'.

> 6. How do I format plots? ie alter range, color etc

The same way as you usual do - what have you tried and what didn't work?

> Sorry for these newbie questions...

No worries.  Though, next time, please try to post one question/topic
per message, and try to be more precise in what you are asking/have
tried.  Then it is easier to help and quicker to reply to.

Cheers,

Henrik