Hi,

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Ajanthah Sangaralingam
<a.sangaralin...@qmul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply. I  actually need to get the log2 copy number ratios
> form the raw .cel files of a GenomeWideSNP6.0 array - I was using CRMA1 but
> am now repeating the analysis using CRMA v2.
> I am putting all of the different tumour types either matched or unmatched
> with a germline sample in the same directory and all the normal samples in
> another directory.

This is fine, but note that did not need to put them in separate directories.

> I will then go through the processes of qulaity assesment, calibration
> crosstalk, normalization for probe sequence effect, probe summarization, and
> normalization of PCR fragment length effects.
>
> Do I need to calculate the raw copy numbers and turn these into log2 copy
> numbers?

I don't understand your question.

> How would I then calculate the copy numbers for
> 1. Unpaired tumour samples - will need to be compared to a pooled reference
> from a particular tumpur type
> 2. Paired samples?

It's hard to be more specific than what Henrik already said without
more details on your sample names and tumor types, and most
importantly on the design of your study.

I'll try for the unpaired analysis (your 1.)

I am assuming that you have two data sets:
- 'dsT' for the tumor samples,
- 'dsN' for the normal samples.

It seems that your concern is to use *tumor-type specific* sets of
normal samples.  Is that correct ?  See my remark below on the fact
that I'm not sure it's what you should do.

If so, then assuming that 'idxT1' contains the indices of all tumor
samples from a  particular tumor type in dsT, and 'idxN1' contains the
indices of normal samples from the same tumor type in dsN, you can do

dsN1 <- extract(dsN, idxN1);      ## normal samples of tumor type 1
dsT1 <- extract(dsT, idxT1);       ## tumor samples of tumor type 1

dfR1 <- getAverageFile(dsN1);    ## pool of normal samples of tumor type 1
sm1 <- CbsModel(dsT1, dfR1);

Then you can do

fit(sm1, chromosome=1, array=1, verbose=log);

to perform CBS segmentation and/or

rawCNs1 <- extractRawCopyNumbers(sm1, array=1, chromosome=1)
plot(rawCns1)

to extract and plot raw copy numbers (independently of CBS).

And so on for each tumor type.

This should answer your 1.  However, I'm not sure that using
tumor-type specific sets of normal samples will give you better
results.  This depends in particular  on the following specific points
in your design:
- Are you "normals"  normal tissue samples blood samples ?
- Were all the tumor and normal microarrays done in the same lab, and
approximately at the same time ?  If so, combining all the normals
could be better.
One way to know which option is best (tumor-specific reference or
global reference) is to try both and compare the segmentation results
(e.g. using ChromosomeExplorer).

For your 2 (paired tumor/normal analysis), I think Henrik gave all the
necessary information already, but

assuming that 'idxT2' contains the indices of all tumor samples from a
 particular tumor type in dsT that have a paired normal, and 'idxN2'
contains the indices of these paired normal samples from the same
tumor type in dsN, further assuming that *the samples are in the same
order in the two sets of indices*, you can do

dsN2 <- extract(dsN, idxN2);
dsT2 <- extract(dsT, idxT2);

sm2 <- CbsModel(dsT2, dsN2);

fit(sm2, chromosome=1, array=1, verbose=log);
rawCNs2 <- extractRawCopyNumbers(sm2, array=1, chromosome=1)
plot(rawCNs2);

I hope this helps,

Pierre.