-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lucero, Michelle - IST
contractor
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 3:40 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Import Tool v6.3 P19 or BMCRemedy's Import "Fix" Debacle

Hey, Folks:

First, am I only the one who takes issue with this statement?
"Remedy was never meant to import data from other sources", Tech Support
by way of backline engineering.

"...and working as designed.  We have fixed something that was broken
[for almost 15] years.

I have an issue that I have been fighting since May 1, 2006.  The
original issue is fixed however engineering has introduced another.  I
mean a HUGE one that they consider to be a fix.  I wholeheartedly
disagree.

TEST A: (Export data from external application. Import into a test
Remedy form with these steps)
Export about 25 records from an application with large text fields that
might contain returns or commas.
For sanity sake, open it in Excel.  Verify that you see 25 rows of data.
(You will. Excel comprehends true CSV.)
Close file without saving.
Open ANY other version of the import tool BESIDES Import Tool 6.3 P19.
Map fields accordingly to your Remedy form.
Import.
Expected Results:
Check test form.  You should see the 25 records imported.

TEST B: (Follow the same steps as listed above, with one exception.  Use
the 6.3 Patch 19 import tool.
Undesired Results:
Your 25 records might turn into 35, 40, 50, etc.
For the extra records that are created, data will be thrown into
incorrect fields.  The first 25 rows that are listed will not contain
all of the data.

TEST B according to Remedy Engineering is a FIX and is working as
designed. I call it an UNUSABLE data disaster.
That was the bad news.  The worse news is that this will be the "fix"
for all subsequent patches.

If Remedy Engineering really meant what they said, "Remedy was never
meant to import data from other sources".  Then how would new customers
ever expect to migrate their data into a Remedy form.  Since, I thought
the statement was the most ludicrous thing I'd ever heard, I asked for
it to be repeated...and it was.

Since this has been going on for so long (it started with the fallback
mapping issue).  I honestly would welcome someone from BMC Remedy to
tell me that there has been a huge miscommunication.

Because if Patch 19 is the "fix" for something that has been working
properly since the first time I imported data, then the import tool has
now been rendered useless.  We will now have to tell potential
customers, "I'm sorry there is no way for us to migrate your existing
data".

Stepping down from my soapbox,
Michelle