Hi Claire,

Same here.  We had our Remedy system (7.5) on a Windows 2003 server which had
to go.  The last supported part of AR System – a custom IT Ordering System –
was moved to a SCSM-based setup earlier this year so I was forced to shut it
all down.  (We had been running since 1998 on Windows, moving to new servers as
required, and had stopped paying for maintenance renewal for about 5 years or
more so we couldn’t move to a newer version of AR System.)  The SQL Server was
also 2003 so was removed as well.  I still receive requests for records of the
old systems, all custom built in house, and I have migrated a number of
sections onto a MySQL server I control. The worst bit comes in building a
suitable interface – nothing seems to beat the AR System way of doing things!

There was nothing I could find which would fit the job, apart from converting
the database (had both ARX files and an SQL dump) and building any necessary
front-ends.  The only one I’ve had to do fully was a user management system –
keeping track of any email addresses and user-ids allocated to staff.
Everything else is handled by database queries (phpMyAdmin helps as a GUI to
MySQL but sometimes using the mysql command line is eminently suitable!

Sorry, not a lot of help, but good luck in finding something which suits your
particular situation.

Ian
Ian Trimnell, Systems Programmer, Information Technology
The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK
Phone: 01908 653741   web: http://www.open.ac.uk<http://www.open.ac.uk/>