I would suggest that your reconcilation rules take this into account. Only
flag an asset as missing if (for example) it is fixed (not a laptop) and
is not found for two weeks.

There is incredible flexibility within the CMDB and the RE in particular.
Combine that with SMS, TD FD & CD, EIE (RLO/RLS) and you've got a pretty
powerful solution you can make do whatever you want.  :-)

--
Tony Worthington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kaiser Norm E CIV USAF 96 CS/SCCE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
06/27/2007 01:27 PM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
Re: Real-World Value of SMS & CMDB

**
Well?what the auto-discovery tool can/can?t do isn?t really my concern
here.

Say I have a server on the network.  My discovery tool discovers it.  It
accordingly creates a record in its database.

A few days go by.  Someone shuts down the server for
maintenance?coincidentally during the next discovery poll.  The discovery
tool now sees the server as ?missing? from the network.

Now consider an enterprise that consists of over 40,000 such machines
(servers, workstations, laptops, etc.) and imagine the problem.