<random speculation> It seems like some of the Windows-based Remedy ARS
folks are honing their .NET skills, which will help them if their
organizations move from Remedy to Microsoft System Center Service
Manager once it becomes a mature piece of their System Center suite.  I
suspect that a lot of IT managers will take a serious look at the cost
comparison in a couple of years, once all of the System Center (2007/8
versions of SMS 2003, etc.) are well established in their
infrastructures; I know ours will.  At that point, the BMC push to
packaged apps over custom (or reasonably customizable) apps may begin to
hurt them, as comparable packaged solutions with local extensibility
begin to compete at lower price points. ARS admins will have been
reduced to tiptoeing around the fringe of the dark (and dangerous)
bowels of ITSM, and be less able to deliver the kind of deep adaptations
to our environments that were the strength of the platform in the past.
</random speculation>

On a more serious note, I would do almost anything to get my hands on an
honest-to-gosh, working version of MasterARSuite for ARS 7.1, even if
all they did was update the old one to recognize the new definitions and
programming features.  It was by far the best diagnostic and
troubleshooting tool I ever had, and made it much easier to judge the
implications of any proposed customizations - which today are more of a
"trial, error, log, fix, and try again" process.  And that is just
nibbling around the fringes of ITSM 7.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Remedy Database Administrator
University of North Texas Computing Center

P.S. No tarring or feathering, please - I'm just speculating since this
thread has degenerated enough to leave us writhing in ancient
petroleum-based substances.
  _____