________________________________

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ray Gellenbeck
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 12:22 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Incoming emails on Solaris + Exchange

**
Folks, remember that a big sector of Remedy useage is Uncle Sam, both
govt and military.

I can only speak for our project in that both POP3 and IMAP4 are
forbidden by security.  This makes like really rough for someone
operating on Solaris as MBOX becomes your only protocol left for
incoming email (MAPI is Exchange/Winblows).

(begin soapbox)
This is a heartache we have with Remedy as we re-evaluate ITSM platform
selection in the future.  BMC's attitude is increasingly "just get a
windows box" for more and more of their solutions or sub-features with
ARS.  We're getting tired of hearing "oh, we haven't developed a unix
version of SSO for 6.03" in the past or "just use MAPI or POP3" now for
incoming email.

Remedy started out primarily a Unix system and much of their growth was
due to that sector.  Government, at least a big majority of it, runs on
Unix/Oracle.  The younger generation of devs may not see things that way
and I have no desire to fire a debate thread here, but spend some time
in the military sector and then evaluate that statement.  If BMC doesn't
wake up and smell the coffee as they roll out products, they could start
finding their wallet getting lighter, IMHO.  Slapping Windows-box
bandaids in a secure Unix environment is not a realistic workaround just
because BMC doesn't have the committment to ensuring that their product
works as-advertised on all environments they claim to support when they
sell it and collect their multi-million-dollar support contracts each
year.
(end soapbox)