There is a check box in the lower right corner on the page where you set the
permissions.  Checking that box and saving the People record adds the
General Access permission for the user.  At a DB level, I think it has two
values:  Yes and <NULL>.  I may have the details a bit off, as I'm operating
from memory, but the concept is correct.

Rick