Good thought - that was a potential issue in initial attempts.  The security
admins here didn't see why it should be a need, so they were reluctant to
let me use a domain admin for setup, until nothing else worked.  Here is the
progression we tried:

Logged in as local admin, installing with SQL authentication
Logged in as local admin, installing with Windows authentication (non-domain
admin)
Logged in as domain admin, installing with SQL authentication
Logged in as domain admin, installing with Windows authentication (domain
admin)

We also tried starting the service post-install with the credentials of a
local and a domain admin.

Same error every time.

Rick