Jim,

I'm almost certain that taking action 1 will eventually result in timeout
errors, even if it's not the cause of what you're currently seeing.  That is
essentially the same as what BMC recommended as Tauf outlined in his e-mail
(having 1=1 or no Run If qualification will both cause the action to be taken
every time).

Are you certain the SessionID didn't change?  The session ID is really just a
munged up date/time stamp, so if you look at two Session IDs generated closely
in time, they will be almost the same with only one or two numbers changing.
What I've had to do is copy the original session ID out into something like
Notepad, and then copy it out again after refreshing the record and pasting it
directly below the original.  Then it's easier to see if something actually
changed.

Otherwise, I'll try to explain what I understood to be going on in our case,
along with what the changes Tauf or your vendor suggested making do vs. what I
ended up with in the end.  As I understand it, in order to avoid making you log
in to RKM when getting to it via Remedy (that is, via the User tool, in an
Incident record, etc.), Remedy generates a session ID for you if you don't
already have one (that's the OOB behavior).  If you already have a SessionID,
then it doesn't do anything.  Then, in the URL it generates to get to RKM, it
includes this session ID as part of the URL.  RKM then looks up the session ID
in the KMS:Session form and checks the value of the Groups field.  If it
doesn't have a value, it puts the IP address of the machine that you're coming
from in there.  If it does have a value, it makes sure that your current IP
address matches the value stored in the form.  If it doesn't match, it makes
the user login.

That seems to work fine so long as the IP address you're coming from never
changes.  However, in a help desk situation where people may not always be at
the same computer from day to day, as soon as someone changes to a different
computer to work, they are now forced to log into KB every time they want to
use it, because their IP address doesn't match what was previously stored with
the SessionID.  We ran into this issue here.

As a fix, BMC recommended making the changes that Tauf outlined.  The "fix" is
essentially to make it always generate a new SessionID (which happens to set
the Groups field to $NULL$ at the same time).  That way, every time you open a
form that you can get to the KB from (in our case, it was always from the Help
Desk form), you have a fresh new SessionID with the Groups field empty.  You
can now switch machines and the fact that your IP address has changed is no
longer an issue.

So, we thought that was working great for a while, and then we started getting
tickets about RKM timeouts, and it was often on the order of minutes.  We had
it set to timeout after something like 2 hours, so I knew something was up.
After digging into it some more and doing some debugging with one of our help
desk agents, I figured out what was going on.  What was happening was that they
were opening up a window to create a new KB article based on the last call, but
had to leave it there while they took the next call.  As part of taking the
next call, they opened the Help Desk form again to log the ticket.  This cause
a new session ID to be created.  So, everything they did with KB during that
call worked fine (because they went to the KB tab in that ticket or opened an
article from that ticket, which all used the new session ID).  However, when
they went back to the original article that they had started to write, when
they went to save the article, RKM reverified the Session ID used for that
window, found that it wasn't valid anymore, and reported to the user that their
session had timed out, even though it had only been a few minutes since they
opened the window.

So, the crux of the problem now is that a person's session ID needs to stay the
same for the entire duration of their session logged into Remedy and KB, or
they need to always close old windows and start fresh with new ones.  No more
keeping windows open while you do other things.

The fix to this was to undo the "fix" that BMC recommended so that it only
created a new SessionID when the user didn't already have one.  I then added an
active link that clears the Groups field when they open the Help Desk form (you
would have equivalent ALs for each of the forms that you open KB from - In your
case, you might have something like KMS:Main:Clear Session ID Groups).  This
ensures that their session ID never changes from when it was created, but
clears the Groups field so that, if they change machines, they can still use
KB, because it won't think they should be coming from a different machine.

So, what I was thinking was that if your timeout problems started after making
either the change recommended by your vendor, or the one recommended by BMC,
then you could be having the same issue we had.  In that case, the problem was
in fact the "fix" recommended.  The solution is not to have a new Session ID
created every time, but instead to clear out the Groups field if they already
have a SessionID.

Does that make any more sense?

Cheers,
Lyle