Are you using port 1521 to connect the SQL client to the database? Is the
firewall blocking it?

Joe
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org]on Behalf Of Kevin Rutenberg
  Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 2:50 PM
  To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
  Subject: Re: Problem installing ARS7.5 patch3 , Vista, Oracle 10g ...now
fails under Windows 7, MSSQL 2008!!

  ** This is getting very annoying...very.

  I finally decided to try the easier option, MSSQL 2008.
  I also upgraded my laptop to Windows 7.
  That all went fine.

  Then installed MSSQL, set all pre install tasks as per the
Install-750.pdf - ARSystem database, ARAdmin user, roles, specified TCP port
1521

  I have tried running installer under both Windows Auth and SQL Sever Auth,
both give following error and I am unable to proceed.

  "TCP connection to the host acer using port number 1521 failed, possible
causes
  Database services are not running/available
  Net config not configured correctly for TCPIP protocol
  IP or host name/port number is not correct"

  I can connect to SQL Server Management Studio with either Windows Auth or
SQL Server Auth.
  So why is installer saying it can't connect to d/b instance??

  Help, I'll have no more hair shortly or worse - give up!