From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Pierson, Shawn
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:35 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: AR User Tool Deprecated?

I've been thinking about this sort of thing lately, and I think that it's not
necessarily a bad move from a corporate perspective, despite my personal desire
to continue using WUT.

1)  Web services are the present and future of integrations, at least in the
near term.  Older APIs and such should be replaced soon, if they haven't been
already.  I'm not saying that this blanket statement will be entirely possible
right now, as there are many applications that integrate with Remedy through
APIs and such, but in my opinion it's not good practice to do integrations on
the user interface anymore if you can help it.

2)  If you look at the overall trends in computing, it seems like every manager
now operates primarily from a Blackberry/iPhone/Android device.  That trend is
creeping down to the rank and file employees of a company, and it's easier to
support the lowest common denominator in computing, which in this case will be
the handheld devices.  As a result, you're better off developing a web-based
app that runs on an iPhone as well as IE in Windows.  Also, management doesn't
look at the user experience as the top priority, but rather how to use the tool
to make or save money for the company.  A standard UI is going to save money
over variously installed versions of WUT that require admin rights that are
more expensive to support.  Do you ever have to tell users, "Hey delete your
*.ARF and *.ARV files and try again"?  There is a cost associated with that
which isn't present on the web.

Overall, IT seems to be trending away from executables and towards
remotely-based applications much like the days of terminals and mainframes.
Sure, you can run one copy of WUT from a Citrix server, but is that really
ideal?  I think it's more headache than it's worth.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson