Listeners

I have an annoying issue with my email engine.  We send out approx 20K
email/day from our ITSM 7.1 system.  We started out almost 2 years ago
interfacing with Exchange but, due to the large number of email that we
are generating, we moved to an SMTP server (Barracuda appliance).  We
were on the Barrcuda for many months without incident.  Then suddenly,
the email engine, while still sending out many email, started randomly
hanging.  It takes a recycle of the email engine process to restore
service.  Inbound email from Exchange continues to come in.

The Email Engine may work for hours before hanging up or may be as
little as 10 minutes depending on the amount of email in the queue.  I
may hang up during peak times but it also hangs during non-peak times.

We switch back to the Exchange Server, but, while it is more reliable
than the SMTP server, it also hangs.

Nothing in the Email Engine logs (I set the java logging to FINER
(com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.level = FINER) indicate anything more than
normal email coming and going.

We had SendEmailSetSize = 500.  Thinking we were overwhelming the mail
server, we set it down to 50.   But, either way, it continues to hang.

Has anyone experienced issues with the Email Engine like this?  Are
there any other logs I can look at that may help determine what the
Email Engine is hanging on?  Can anyone offer any suggestion that my
help resolve this?

We are running on ARServer 7.1 patch 9.  We are using JRE:1.6.0_10 on a
Windows 2003 server and MSSQL 2005 Server.

Thanks and regards

Dan Wangler, MHS Remedy Support Team

MHS Cyberinfrastructure Services (MCiS)

300 Convent St, Ste 1800, San Antonio, TX 78205

210-338-3162 * 972-979-1970 * dan.wangler....@timpo.osd.mil
<mailto:dan.wangler....@timpo.osd.mil>