We too have had issues with various versions over the years with 7.5 being
the worst.  We have an escalation form where we keep "service" type
escalations.  We have a control records and an escalation that fires every
10 minutes and does a set fields on that record where:

'Send Message' = "Yes" AND 'Create Date' > $TIMESTAMP$ - 60 * 60 AND 'Create
Date' <= $TIMESTAMP$ - 60 * 11

If there is a match the 'Email ID' from one record is set in a field and our
process runs to restart the service.  The process is a batch file that
writes to a log, stops the service, cleans up some temp email engine, pauses
and restarts the email engine.  It works so well we have forgotten it there
is a problem still.

Looking at the log we can go a days without issue and some days it restarts
throughout the day.  We definitely see more restarts on busier days.

Here is the content of the batch:
********************
@Echo Off
Rem Stops and starts Email engine if messages are not being sent on a timely
basis

echo ***** %date% %TIME% --  Email Engine stopped sending emails, restarting
>> "D:\Logs\EmailEngine.log"

net stop "BMC Remedy Email Engine - OURSERVERNAME 1" >>
"D:\Logs\EmailEngine.log"

c:
cd "C:\Users\ServiceAccountName\AppData\Local\Temp\"
@Echo Deleting temp files in C:\Users\ServiceAccountName\AppData\Local\Temp\
>> "D:\Logs\EmailEngine.log"
del AT*.tmp email*.eml email*.txt email*.rtf chk*.tmp email*.html red*.tmp
email*.msg red*tmp E*_*.tmp

rem the ping is just a pause to allow  previous task to finish
ping 1.0.0.0 -n 1 -w 5000 >NUL

net start "BMC Remedy Email Engine - OURSERVERNAME 1" >>
"D:\Logs\EmailEngine.log"

Jason