Yes, running a SQL statement from an active link will update the record
directly at the database level. Just like running a SQL statement from SQL
studio. Bypassing filter execution and system update fields.
The documentation is worded to discourage people from making changes directly
to the ARS database. It's not that you can't, you just run the risk of
destroying your system.

Jason