if i am not wrong in arsystem email messages configuration form you have an
option for setting outgoing mail  do u want to delete or not
if set to know the mail remains in the email message form even if there is
error in transmitting it.

if the option is NO and still the message gets deleted then you probably
need to check for the workflow.