>> I recall a presenter mention that all patches needed be installed before the
>> upgrade

One can upgrade from 7604 SP2 to 8.1 directly.
I believe the intent was here to communicate to apply the latest Patches
released on 8.1 (Patches here infer to cumulative hotfixes on top of 8.1).

Some of the features that went into 7604 SP5 may not be available in 8.1 (SP5
was released later than 8.1 RTM). However yes they would be available in 8.1
SP1 (Not yet GA'ed)

Regards,
Ravi