Sweety,
When you perform an action on a single record, filters act on that record.
 They can cause set/push, that affects other records, and those records
will have their own filters.

Escalations perform a query, and then take actions on any record that
matches the query, potentially causing filters that fire on that record to
fire.

does that make sense?