My understanding of what you just said is that the FMS Incidents aren't
going to be handled by people unless the SLA is breached; in which case
there is an escalation of sorts that means someone has to do something with
that Incident because the alarm hasn't cleared and there's actual work to
do.  So that also means that any FMS Incidents that are created but don't
alarm would need to mainly be closed by the system so they don't linger in
an open state.  I assume your customer has SLAs that have to be met, is
volume of Incidents included in their reporting - if so, it's something to
consider.

Maybe start putting some factual statements behind your hesitation.  For
example, what's the growth rate on the DB and can that be managed
automatically, what's the method of import - how long does it take to
import a record, update the record, other processing factors (such as
Remedy internal processing, like workflow processing and escalations), how
long does the system take to process an SLA breech?  Do you have enough AR
Servers, import servers?   Will there be an archive of data?  Sometimes a
factual accounting of considerations leads to financial impact that the
customer maybe didn't expect, like adding 12 servers to process the volume
of data or maybe it resolves the hesitation into something that can't be
done to something that can.

But, I do think that legitimate faults in the environment make for
legitimate Incidents.  BMC also has products for managing system events;
generally speaking, faults are isolated and filtered in the FMS and then
mainly legitimate Incidents get created.  It might be worth talking with
some of your counterparts to discuss some of the methodologies that collect
and filter those events in BMC's products so you can apply that conceptual
knowledge.   And, if the customer is really bent on using Remedy instead of
FMS configuration, perhaps a staging area for processing Faults and Alarms
(like what an FMS would do) is worth the design and build to keep 90% of
the non-Incident Alarms out of Incident Management.

Janie