From: "Ray Gellenbeck" <ray.gellenb...@redmangollc.com>
Sent: ‎22/‎01/‎2015 04:13
To: "arslist@ARSLIST.ORG" <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
Subject: Re: Need Suggestion

Greater minds than me have pointed out the main issues with the stated
approach...I lived it in the old TelAlert and NetCool gateway days (shudder).

1.  Notifications for alarms should be outsourced to the related application,
not stuck onto Remedy.  Remedy CAN do it, but it's main focus is processing
workflow, notifications should be the exception, not the main bulk of its
focused work.

2.  By putting this load on ARS instead, more resources will have to be devoted
to scaling ARS appropriately AND its underlying DB cluster.  How is it they
think they are saving money by doing this?  Reduced headcount because they
think a dedicated notification person would be needed otherwise?  I hope nobody
would be that short-sighted.

Here's another simpler thought:  SMS notifications quickly turn into ignored
white noise by most all that receive them as the volume increases.  There are a
lot of good bolt-on solutions for this topic, including ones that let
individuals select when, what and how they get notifications.  Remedy does the
basics for all 3, but not as well.

A good consultant will first try to sway the customer from this approach, but
if that doesn't happen, ARS can handle it and someone will make a LOT of money
from the ongoing care and feeding it will likely require.