CMYK is the opposite of RGB.

RGB means Red, Green, Blue, and are the colours of the Additive colour
pallet. The Additive colour pallette uses Light to make up the complete
spectrum of colours. It starts with black (or lack of light) and by adding
red green and blue light in different ammounts it is possible to make over
16 Million different colours. Where have you seen 16 million before? On you
monitor settings. That's right monitors, and TV's because they use light to
make up their images, use RGB.

CMY means Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. CMY are the negative of RGB (that's why
on your photo negatives, pink faces look bluey-green). They are the colours
of the Subtractive colour pallette. The subtractive colout pallette uses
pigment (or ink) to make up the spectrum of colours. It starts with white
(or total light) and by adding cyan, magenta and yellow pigment in different
ammounts it is possible to make a wide section of the visible spectrum. In
effect each pigment acts as a filter, filtering out the frequencies of light
from the white starting point until if you layer solid blocks of cyan,
magenta and yellow you block all light and get black. In fact, this does not
work perfectly, partly because the pigments are never pure, so we add K or
Black to the set, resulting in CMYK.

Note: K results from an old printing term "key", but it means Black in
general useage.

Laters,

Dan