Where/when did I say/write x-sound Saurav?

All I am talking is the phoneme mapped against /x/ as such /z/ as zebra, and try to understand likely confuse without training. I am yet to talk on /ksh/ phoneme mapped against /x/ and this going to peal off hell of a lot for Kamrupi.

Kamrupi has the three specific phonemes; all three phonemes are distinct among some speakers living in undivided Kamrup -- you do not refer these as x-sound, as x-sound implies sound of sex. Perhaps (correct me) these phonemes are  not differentiable among upper Assamese speakers.

Kamrupi words presented by upendra goswami are correct. For research paper use of /x/ is the choice of the researcher.

Kamrupi speakers will not go for practical use. I am yet to talk on /ksh/ phoneme mapped against /x/, this is going to peal off hell of a lot for kamrupi.

Kamrupi is not a dialect, it is well developed language dieing every day. Kamrupi during yester years has developed Kamrupy scriptures so you see Kamrupi words every where in the scriptures (that are spoken today as well).

Some Examples:

Aa>ola , tasР – tasÐ Grr Aa>olat iSl idiC;
ÌeV, lagb - ÌeVsa baeh* kt Baj lagb’;
is, mamaeQr, AamaeQr,  AaisiC  - is mamaeQr Grr pra AamaeQr Grk AaisiC;
jat jat;
k, tasР - ik k iQyaid k, tasÐ önk;
Qaer Qaer;
rK – mf baC riK AaC (AaCu);
saetaKan;
tahak – tahak Aaim kakar ibyak matCu (matC’);
za®q;
zaM;
znkura;
zulik;
zumik;
raKiC, raKC, raKCa

Why don’t you start writing Xaurav?

Take care,

Rabin ka

Saurav Pathak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

rabin-da:

it seems the /x/ sound is present in the kamrupi dialect, though in a dimished form. upendra goswami in his "a study of kamrupi: a dialect of assamese" gives these examples. and he uses the letter "x" to denote the sound. the book is based on his doctoral thesis, which was published in 1970.

for example, here the /x/ sound is absent.

aakhaa (hope) aaxaa
aakaah (sky) aakaax
bih (pain) bix
rakh, rah (juice) rax

there are other places where he uses the "x" letter to denote the
sound in other words.

xaneri (gold-smith) xonari
xatra (seventeen) xotara
xanaa (gold) xon
xalaa (toothless) xolaa
xaangur (yoking together) xaangor
xundaar (beautiful) xundar
xuinba zaau (go to hear) xuniboloi zao
xiaar (root) xipaa
xihaa (wick of a lamp) xa'lita
xetli (bed) bisanaa

saurav
ps: it is cool to have access to an academic library :)

Do you Yahoo!?