On Dec 20, 2011, at 08:43, Ward Able, Grant wrote:

> John - will this help?
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r12/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.zos.r12.asma500%2Fasmi102072.htm

Where I read:

    CASE
    Instructs the assembler to maintain uppercase alphabetic character set
    compatibility with earlier assemblers. It restricts language elements
    to uppercase alphabetic characters A through Z if they were so restricted
    in earlier assemblers.

But beware.  It's not well exercised.  I've had a few APARS on
things such as 0C4 ABENDs because FREEMAIN wasn't using the same
key as GETMAIN (twice, IIRC -- regressed in a subsequent release)
and nested COPY commands failing to POINT to the right place after
exiting the inner COPY.  Mostly DfSMS fault, not HLASM.  I originally
discovered some of these problems using a UNIX directory in my Rexx
SYSEXEC concatenation, but that's not supported, but I was able
to reproduce them with HLASM SYSLIB, where they are supported and
were fixed.  The PTFs repaired Rexx likewise.

> In the spirit of things, I'm keeping the source in UNIX subdirectories and
> using the "make" UNIX command, in an interactive UNIX shell, to control the
> assembly (using the "as" UNIX command) and linking (using the "ld" UNIX
> command). I've run into an irritation. I like to keep my UNIX file names in
> __lower__ case. The source code in my assembler invokes one of my macros. The
> source is in lower case. I get a "macro not found" error because the
> assembler UPPER CASES the macro name before looking for the macro. I guess I
> understand why HLASM does this. But is there __any__ way to have HLASM r6.0
> (PTF UK54260) use lower case? Or am I stuck with making my UNIX resident
> macro names UPPER CASE? I know that I have the -I to search my UNIX
> subdirectory set correctly because if I make the UNIX file name UPPER CASE,
> then it assembles cleanly.

And the "cc" command (I don't know about"as") gratuitously forces the
argument of SYSPARM to upper case, notwithstanding that HLASM tolerates
all argument names and values in mixed case, and when invoked from JCL
accepts SYSPARM (quoted, of course) ASIS.  I haven't tried a PMR
on this.

-- gil