From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu> on behalf
of Robin Vowels <robi...@dodo.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:25 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu
Subject: Re: Fair comparison C vs HLASM

From: "Seymour J Metz" <sme...@gmu.edu>
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 6:41 AM

> A traceback is not a trace. An ON unit can display *current* values of a
> variable,

It can do whatever you want.
For example, you could stack the values of any given variable in the current
procedure, and use the ON-unit to print some or all generations.
Stacking can also be done for any variables in procedures called earlier,
and their values displayed through an ON-unit in those procedures (use
RESIGNAL).

> not past values. I have no idea what you mean by "A trace is trivial with
> PROCEDURENAME."

PROCNAME returns the name of the current procedure.  You can either write that
out to a file, or stack it, to be retrieved later, along with values of any
relevant
variables.

> or how it provides a complete history of the program's execution, much less
> an interface for
> viewing it selectively.

Use it in each procedure, on entry.