On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Glenn Fowler <g...@research.att.com> wrote:

> we're going to take some research leeway and investigate the implications of
> {a}

Glenn, this is supposed to be my free month. Holiday. I'm only
intervening because I see DOOM coming straight ahead.
Your solution of having an inaccessible per thread cwd is the solution
Windows tried. They FAILED. Please do not repeat that history.

> we're not strangers to doing stuff like that (3d(1))
> and we're not strangers to having research prove us wrong

Microsoft already tried option {a} in Windows as convenient, backwards
compatible and easy path for developers. I think everyone agreed it
was the worst possible solution - a lesson hard learned in a decade of
problems spawned from that. By overall measure, you're making libast
impossible to use for outside projects with that because you can no
longer mix libast calls safely with calls from other utility
libraries.

Irek