> And, I'd be in the camp that would advocate getting your hands dirty and
> learn to program without the GUI.  You'll learn a lot and then if you'd
> want to move to a GUI and something breaks, you'll have some idea on
> what and how to fix it.
>
> Knowing now what I do, I find a GUI to restrictive.

I agree.  I originally felt I wanted the GUI approach too, but then when I
looked into things in more detail and understood that you really can't BOTH
use the GUI approach and edit files explicitly, I decided that the GUI did
nothing for me except add a additional level of complexity and that I'd be
MUCH better off just doing things directly.