On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Richard Kenner wrote:

>> And, I'd be in the camp that would advocate getting your hands dirty and
>> learn to program without the GUI.  You'll learn a lot and then if you'd
>> want to move to a GUI and something breaks, you'll have some idea on
>> what and how to fix it.
>>
>> Knowing now what I do, I find a GUI to restrictive.
>
> I agree.  I originally felt I wanted the GUI approach too, but then when I
> looked into things in more detail and understood that you really can't BOTH
> use the GUI approach and edit files explicitly, I decided that the GUI did
> nothing for me except add a additional level of complexity and that I'd be
> MUCH better off just doing things directly.

That is so not true.  FreePBX has hooks in a million places to do custom
dialplan stuff - I do it all the time.  I also link in custom AGI/AMI
applications, custom provisioning, custom LCR, and am even working with
one customer that has mastered making FreePBX multi-tenant.

If you want to get your hands dirty there is plenty of dirt underneath
FreePBX.  On the other hand, if you want a simple setup that is easily
managed, the GUI is fantastic and saves a LOT of time.  And if you are a
PHP programmer you can easily modify the operation of any part of it.

Your comments both come from having taken a short look at FreePBX and
dismissed it without investigating how powerful it can be.

Now as far as Switchvox goes, now THAT is a restrictive platform.  You
cannot ssh into the box for starters.  Every extension requires a license.
There is no support for dual homing the box (my default installation
configuration - one port on public!).  Another horrid experience.