On 28/02/2024 17:37, Kalle Valo wrote:

> Marc Gonzalez writes:

>>> This sounds more like a firmware feature, not a hardware feature. What
>>> about having a flag in enum ath10k_fw_features in firmware-2.bin?
>>
>> Are you using the word "feature" as in "it was done purposefully" ?
>
> No, there's no bigger meaning like that. It's more like ath10k has to do
> something differently when a certain bit is enabled in the firmware. I
> just had to pick a word for the enum and from my limited vocabulary I
> chose "feature" :)

Understood!

>> Is enum ath10k_fw_features also supposed to include work-arounds?
>
> Yes, and we already use.
>
>> Sorry, I've grepped over the entire Linux source code,
>> and I cannot find where ath10k_fw_features is used,
>> other than in ath10k_core_get_fw_feature_str().
>
> Here's one example where in ath10k we use a feature bit as a workaround:
>
>       /* Don't trust error code from otp.bin */
>       ATH10K_FW_FEATURE_IGNORE_OTP_RESULT = 7,

>       if (!(skip_otp || test_bit(ATH10K_FW_FEATURE_IGNORE_OTP_RESULT,
>                                  ar->running_fw->fw_file.fw_features)) &&
>           result != 0) {
>               ath10k_err(ar, "otp calibration failed: %d", result);
>               return -EINVAL;
>       }
>
> BTW for modifying firmware-N.bin files we have a script here:
>
> https://github.com/qca/qca-swiss-army-knife/blob/master/tools/scripts/ath10k/ath10k-fwencoder

If I understand correctly, you are saying that there is
(maybe... probably) a bug in the FW, so it makes sense to
tag that specific FW file with a special bit which the kernel
will interpret as "this FW is broken in a specific way;
and here's how to work around the issue."

So this bit would serve the same purpose as my proposed
"qcom,no-msa-ready-indicator" bit (that bit existed instead
in my board's device tree).

The problem I see is that the firmware files are signed.
Thus, changing a single bit breaks the verification...
UNLESS the FW format allows for a signed section ALONG-SIDE
an unsigned section?

>> As mentioned in my other reply, there are several msm8998-based
>> devices affected by this issue. Is it not appropriate to consider
>> a kernel-based work-around?
>
> Sorry, not following you here. But I'll try to answer anyway:
>
> I have understood that Device Tree is supposed to describe hardware, not
> software. This is why having this property in DT does not look right
> place for this. For example, if the ath10k firmware is fixed then DT
> would have to be changed even though nothing changed in hardware. But of
> course DT maintainers have the final say.

At some point, we start wandering into meta-physical considerations
such as "if FW cannot ever be changed, when does FIRM become HARD?"
(and other GPLv3 niceties). But this is a discussion for another list.

Regards