Xavier Bestel:
> On most distributions there are udev rules to maintain network devices
> names constant, they may interfere with your setup. For a start, "ath0"
> is a madwifi name and should be replaced by "wlan0" with the ath5k
> driver.
> You should try to remove all predefined names from the udev rules (on my
> debian setup it's in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules), reboot,
> look at the created names and change your hostapd config accordingly.

Taking another look in my dmesg, I found this line

    udev: renamed network interface wlan0 to ath0

So something similar is obviously going on her on my Fedora system.
I'll remove these settings and try again.

(But could really a name change explain my problems?  It did change to
ath0, and ath0 is what all my configurations points to.  So it looks
as if it would be consistent.  I'll try anyway, but it looks a bit
far-fetched, doesn't it?)